Hear our Sunday morning 10:30 worship service
In 1833 a church was organized in Russellville,but did not exist long. Then about 1850, the Russellville Church was reorganized and lasted a short time before it, too, ceased to exist. Finally on July 13, 1867, the present Russellville Baptist Church was organized with eleven charter members and Elder Richard Jennings as the first pastor. Their services were held in the Methodist Episcopal Church, which is the present day Presbyterian Church.
During the 1870’s "a rather crude small frame church" was erected across the street behind the site of the present Colonial Bank, which was then the First National Bank. Although it was used for several years, the building was never properly finished.
Twenty-six years after it’s founding (1893), the church congregation erected the second white frame structure on the present site. Due to the destruction of county records in a fire at the Belgreen Courthouse, the church lost its property when it was sold for back taxes.
In September 1909, construction was begun on the third church building. It was dedicated on June 25, 1910 and was the first brick building for First Baptist Church. It had an auditorium, Sunday School department, and pastor’s study.
During the pastorate of George H. Jackson, the church was led, in 1957, to erect a new sanctuary, education building and pastorium. They also established five missions and helped two of them to erect buildings in which to worship.
More recent improvements to the existing building include:
1981 – dedication of the Memorial Chapel
1991 – purchase of additional land (giving First Baptist the whole block)
1989 – construction of Fellowship Building
2000 – construction of "Green Room" educational area
2006 – renovation of the Sanctuary